Wednesday, October 8, 2008

31 for 21 is hard

There is good news and there is bad news about committing to 31 for 21.

The bad news is I haven't kept up, life happens (busy, busy, busy) but no excuses.
The good news is I am getting into more of a routine about posting daily, which is part of the reason I wanted to commit.

I am traveling for work yesterday and today, if I were providing excuses that would be it :-) today at our lunch break we started talking about kids etc. and of course I took this opportunity to brag about all three of my kids. We also talked about special needs resources in the Austin area and were talking specifically about Down Home Ranch and DSACT. I have posted some about the later but not the former....

If you haven't heard about Down Home Ranch check it out. DHR was started by Jerry and Judy Horton a number of years ago. At the time they were looking for resources for their young daughter who has downs, having looking around the country they didn't find what they were looking for so they started DHR.

The mission is to build a rural, self-reliant community for adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities, offering training, housing, recreation, and dignified employment, as well as opportunities for growth in mind, body, and spirit.

The accomplish this mission very well. I first heard about it a number of years ago as a volunteer effort through Dell. I found out a number of cool things about what they do. I immediately told our church about their poinsettia program, which we have used ever since. They have several green houses where they grow and then sellpoinsettias. I also learned about their "training" program where young adults can learn to prepare to live on their own.

They have many programs like summer camps, horse back ridding, etc

If you live in the area, check them out... they can always use volunteers. if you have a child or young adult with special needs, regardless of where you live check them out.

most importantly keep them in your prayers. keeping an operation like this up and running takes lots of work and lots of prayers

3 comments:

you gotta wonder said...

Nice posting, and "yes" I'll follow up with DHR. I am pretty sure we do regular community service activities there (through work). I'll look into it.

Jeanette said...

I can attest to your busy schedule. Nice to have you back home! IRLTF

Superhero Mom said...

Jeanette,
I just wanted to stop by and say thank you so much for your encouraging words. My husband and I attended a Crown Financial Seminar at church 2 years ago and I know it works as well. It may take more than two years, but honoring God along the way helps to ease the pain. Thank you again for stopping by my blog and blessing me with your words of wisdom.